Crock-Pot Roast Beef Dinner (with Ellen Commentary)
From “The Food Nanny”
(I highly recommend her book! Especially for beginner cooks. http://thefoodnanny.org/)
8 to 12 Servings
(Most of the substitutions that I have tried below are because I wanted to cater the
recipe to the things that I already had in the kitchen. Overall, I found that this recipe is
very flexible. I like to cook a lot of it. After dinner is over, I separate the extra meat from
the veggies and juices, pull it apart to bite-size pieces, freeze it. Later, I defrost the
meat, heat it up in the microwave, mix it with BBQ sauce, and serve it on rolls as BBQ
beef sandwiches.)
INGREDIENTS
1 (4-pound) beef sirloin roast
Garlic Salt (I sprinkle it with McCormick Montreal Steak seasoning instead)
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
3 Tablespoons cider vinegar
1 Tablespoon soy sauce
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup (I use cream of chicken)
1 (1-ounce) packet onion soup mix (I usually omit this)
1 cup beef broth (I just use water)
5 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces (optional)
6 red potatoes or medium russets, scrubbed and quartered (optional)
DIRECTIONS
1. Place the roast in a slow cooker. Sprinkle with the garlic salt.
2. In a medium bowl, mix the brown sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce,
soup, onion soup mix, and broth; pour over the roast.
3. Add the carrots and/or potatoes to the slow cooker if it is large enough to hold them.
4. Cook on high heat 5 to 6 hours or on low heat for 10 to 12 hours.
2 comments:
the first post I have ever posted...ever.
Thanks Ellen for posting. It is still cold here so I will be trying this on Sunday.
Post a Comment